Home‎ > ‎


My name's Dave Chamberlain.  I was born in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1963, grew up, and was raised in the same house until I moved out after graduating from college in 1986.  I attended Hood Elementary School, Eastern Junior High, and Lynn English High School (graduating class of 1981).  In High School I worked at Richmond's Pharmacy, my first job and I loved the interactions with the customers.  After High School I went to Bridgewater State University (then it was Bridgewater State College) in Bridgewater, Massachusetts.  There I met the best friends you could ever meet, several professors who truly motivated me, and the girl would eventually become my wife of over 25 years (June 2012).

While in college, my roommate, Jeff, and I both worked at the radio station (WBIM) and the computer lab, and I became a tutor for computer science. It was during one of our lab monitor jobs that we both realized that our classmates had the same questions over and over again and so Jeff and I worked with two other lab monitors over winter break, I believe it was during our sophomore year, to create the first lab manual for the school.  The four of us even offered training classes attended by both students and faculty.  I remember being barely 19 when our first training seminar began, a seminar we hoped might have 10-12 people attending, instead we had nearly 45 and it was standing room only.  This was back in the days
Photograph by Rama, Wikimedia Commons, Cc-by-sa-2.0-fr [CC-BY-SA-2.0-fr (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/fr/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons
of using CRTs (ADM3a's to be specific) on a timeshare system on the computer network.  Text editors NOT visual!

I kept the lab monitor position through most of college, eventually moving into the Burrill Ave building (now the Moakley Center) in 1982 with their cutting edge Apple ][ computers.  This paved the way to a directed study where I taught assembly language programming at MCI (Massachusetts Correctional Institution) Bridgewater to prisoners as part of their rehabilitation education.

I had a variety of jobs during the summers, including the GE Computer Center in Lynn as a tape monkey.  I literally would watch a monitor until a program called for a computer tape, retrieve the tape from the vault and mount it on the appropriate tape drive.  I was lucky enough during the summer between my senior and "super senior" years to have a programming position in the manufacturing area at GE in Lynn where I created an inventory system for aircraft engine parts to track the manufacturing process.  This position allowed me the opportunity to share an off-campus apartment with Jeff. I'm sure in hindsight that Jeff would say that he had an apartment with me and my fiance instead.  However, that's a story for him to tell.

After graduation I was offered a position at Raytheon in Sudbury, Massachusetts and so began my professional career at Raytheon on January 23, 1986 (about a week before the Challenger accident).  Merely a 75 minute commute from the apartment that Jeff and I shared in Bridgewater, which eventually prompted me to want to terminate our lease in October 1986.  I then moved home until Janet graduated and had a job offer so we could decide a good location to live. Luckily she had a job offer from Raytheon as well.  We moved in to our first official apartment together a 1 Royal Crest Drive in Marlboro, Mass in April 1987.  We were married in June and are still together.  In 2012 our two wonderful sons threw us a party to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

The project I was assigned to at Raytheon came to an abrupt halt in 1987 and people were sent on to other projects based on seniority.  As a relative new-hire, I left Raytheon and went to GTE Government Systems in Needham, Mass.  Ironically, this was closer to the old apartment in Bridgewater than where I was currently living in Marlboro.  Meanwhile, Janet's project was also nearing an end and she was offered a job at Lockheed Martin in Nashua, NH, prompting a move out of Massachusetts and a very long commute for me.  We were thinking of starting a family and were getting our finances straight to buy our first house which all lead to me leave GTE for Lockheed Martin and eventually we moved from our apartment in Nashua to our first house in New Boston, NH.

I continued as a full time Lockheed employee, working on the F22 program and teaching C and C++ courses through their in-house education program, until the early 1990s, when I decided to take a stab at working at some smaller start-up companies and contract employment. At this point my jobs tended to overlap, I was employed at White Pine Software, a small company making terminal emulators and X-Servers for Mac and PC platforms, brought back into Lockheed, and Summa4 on their Virtual Central Office telephony product. Finally leaving consulting and Lockheed in 1994 where I joined MV Communications.  MV was a small start-up Internet Service Provider (ISP) -- the first ISP in NH and one of the country's oldest ISPs selling directly to the home user.  I also became a member of the steering committee for the Greater Nashua Software Entrepreneurs' Group (GNSEG) and a founding member of the SwANH (Software Association of NH).  Both were organizations that tied communities of software professionals together.

I remained at MV Communication until they had to shut their doors during the summer of 2011.  "But," as they say, "that's not all."  MV was a wonderful company to work for and allowed me time to explore other areas of interest.  I was able to volunteer at my sons' school quite a bit. Remembering my time tutoring, developing the classes back at Bridgewater, teaching in the prison, and teaching C++ classes at Lockheed, I applied to the M.Ed Program at Southern NH University and graduated with a 4.0 in 2006. The original purpose was to be home afterschool so my children could participate in after school events (we live in the woods) and hopefully teach technology and computer programming to young people.

MV allowed me to switch to a part time status during the school year so I could take a job in the school system.  I accepted a position at the Weare Middle School and was there for four years then moved to the Henniker Community School where I accepted a position teaching 7th grade math and 8th grade technology education.

Even though I was teaching in the public school system, I remained employed nights and weekends at MV, but their closing prompted me to return to software full-time. The decision was difficult in many ways as I am lucky enough to have had jobs in two very different fields both having their own sets of pros and cons. As one of my 8th grade graduating students reminded the night of their graduation quoting Dr. Seuss: Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened.

Just a few days after my students said their goodbyes, at the end of June 2012, I too said goodbye to teaching and happily joined the team at Ziptr where I worked on their backend server team developing cloud software, managing deployments, and helping architect the infrastructure using Amazon Web Services (AWS).  Unfortunately, Ziptr closed just over a year later in September of 2013.

In October, 2013, I was lucky that, even though Ziptr closed, I was able to remain with the Ziptr team and joined Sophos to work on their Cloud Team.  During my stay at Sophos I was able to do some traveling and had the opportunity to live and work in Germany -- although just for a short time.  At Sophos, I became the Cloud Architect for their flagship product, which involved redesigning the deployment system, and lead the infrastructure team to redesign the Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering.

In 2014 though, I decided to leave Sophos.  While it was a great learning experience, what I really wanted was to go back to a small company and joined a startup within the Blade software foundry called Lineage Labs working on Bevy, a photo collection, sharing, and viewing in-home appliance.

Unfortunately, in 2016 Lineage Labs was unable to get additional funding and closed. I was invited to work at Lola Travel, another company in the Blade software foundry until I could find a more permanent home.  After a pivot at Lola Travel, I went to a startup within MIT, (edX) which is an open source MOOC providing courses from several universities including MIT, Harvard, and other top tier schools.  Unfortunately, the commute (about 5 1/2 hours per day) was just too much and I left to follow a remote job at PhishMe (now Cofense) which brought me back into the security world where I'm challenged with several interesting problems to solve.

I continue program and explore in my spare time, I particularly enjoy programming for mobile technologies; mobile platforms have a unique set of characteristics and challenges that must be taken into account.  I have also earned my Masters in Computer Science with an interest in continue to my PhD to combine teaching and computers in Computer Science Education (CSE).